Why is it so important to call a certified mold inspection company the minute you discover you might have mold??? Mold literally will grow in front of your eyes. It takes as little as 24 hours for fungus to grow under the right conditions in your home. All you need to do to see this with your own eyes is to take a piece of cardboard and wet it. Lay it on the floor of your garage for 24 hours and then turn it over. There will be white or black mold (depending on your region) growing on that cardboard. All it takes is a short-lived elevation in moisture and a food source (paper, cardboard, wood, sheetrock, clothing etc) and bang, you have a problem. Many of our clients tell me that they noticed a little black mold growing in a corner of the basement or behind some clothing in their closet and they thought they’d better call somebody soon. Before you know it other life gets busy and you forget. Out of site, out of mind right? Unfortunately with mold this can be a very expensive back burner. The moment you notice anything that looks like it could be mold you should have a conversation with a certified mold company and probably a visit. As we all know, mold can be very dangerous to certain segments of the population. Children 5 and under, seniors 65 and over and anyone with any immune system deficiency is at risk for developing fungal-related infections. Children are specifically susceptible to type I & II hypersensitivities such as Asthma which unfortunately can last a life time.
Where are some of the places that you might come across mold?
Basements are the main area that people will come across mold for the first time. This is particularly true of finished basements. Why? We live in the Northeastern United States where the the water table is generally high. We have rivers, lakes, streams, creeks, bays and oceans all around us and the ground is just wet. Basements are below grade which means they are mostly underground and therefore susceptible to moisture intrusion. When you put sheetrock, carpet, furniture and other textiles in your basement, you are not only making a cosy little living space, but you are also creating a buffet for fungus. Basements generally need a dehumidifier if 10 years or older (newer homes have concrete slab engineering to keep moisture out). The first sign of a mold problem in the basement is that “musty” smell. That is almost always an indication you have the beginnings of a problem, or a full-fledged contamination issue.
If you smell that “musty” odor and you have performed a thorough inspection of the interior living areas and still can’t pinpoint the source, look for a crawl space and do a visual inspection. Many times crawl spaces have inadequate vapor barriers which allows the underside of your home to have direct exposure to moist dirt and over time this will almost certainly lead to a mold contamination issue.
Attics are notorious for having mold. Why? What other part of your home do you only go in once a year if even that much? Some of my clients say they have NEVER been in their attic and they’ve lived in their home for 10 years. Attics get mold when ventilation systems breaks down. Attic fans, soffit vents and ridge vents must all act in concert to keep moist hot air from being trapped in the attic. A roofing professional should inspect your attic every few years to make sure you have proper circulation.